Monday, May 12, 2008

Day 8 - What the heck am I saying?

This journey is supposed to be about me getting close to God and seeking His perspective on worship in my life. Today, I felt like He was continuing this realignment.

I fought for my worship time today amidst a number of things on my calendar. I stole a few minutes in my office listening to a couple of songs from Delirious and Desperation, but I couldn't seem to shake my tired eyes and mind. I got up and put my "in session" sign on the door (it's kind of a musician wanna be's version of do not disturb) and I sat down in the corner of my office trying to focus my thoughts on God. About the time I felt like I was making some progress, one of our sound guys arrived to help me with the sound board. An hour and a half, a guitar lesson, and three or four other tasks later, it was time to meet up with my beautiful wife... God would have to wait. :)

I had some time alone on the way home because we had driven seperate cars and I thought, "I'll get that last ten minutes of worship in now, while it's just me and God." I tried singing some songs, but the same distractions came up. I just didn't seem to be in the singing mood. So I quit doing that and just began to pray about my soon to be born son and my wife and my family. Then, out of nowhere, this thought came to me, "What am I doing? I'm supposed to be worshiping and dang if I didn't get distracted by prayer. OK, what song could I sing?"

Right there, God put the brakes on my thoughts and spoke so clearly.

"What do you think you are doing when you pray? What do you think worship is? Is worship not giving time and attention to what is most important? Is worship not obeying My commands? Is worship not thinking ahead and organizing your day so you can spend time with Me? Is it not building a relationship with a man who serves Me by fixing sound problems? Is not teaching a middle school student guitar lessons so He can play music that glorifies Me? Is it not putting aside other obligations to have dinner with your wife and spend quality time with her? What do you think worship is? Today, I have been worshiped more than you even know, because you took the time tend to my flock. I'll take this any day over songs and melodies from your lips."

1 Samuel 15:32
What is more pleasing to the Lord: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams.

God, today and every day I want to glorify You with my obedience. With my life I honor You and my hands and feet sing Your praise.

No comments: