Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 1

God, teach me about worshiping You. I want to know Your heart. I want to be close to you.

I need You here. Come speak to me. Holy Spirit fill me up


I have begun 21 day journey with a friend of mine. We’re putting aside at least a half hour each day just to worship and get closer to God. I know it sounds like something that a worship leader should be doing all the time, but it is just not true; at least for me. All too often, I find myself flying through the day without stopping and really being still before God. I mean, I catch a worship tune here and there and join in on the ride home or during the day just randomly, but I’m talking about dedicated time between God and me. Come on, this is stuff that I’ve been learning since I was a kid and stuff that I teach our middle and high school students. I want to be re-centered on what God wants from me personally and in leadership.

One other facet of this particular journey is that I have committed to write zero songs during this time. I’ll probably jot down some phrases here and there just to get them out of my head, but so many times, when I finally slow down to worship God on my own, I get distracted by songwriting. Unfortunately, I have built a habit of looking for lyrics in everything. No songs right now though… they’re just too distracting. I end up getting off course and quit worshipping God in order to write a worship song. Go figure… idiot! Talk about someone who’s missing the point. Anyway, I’m looking forward to what’s to come.

No comments: