Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Day 21 - Only the Beginning

Well, I've reached the end of this 21 day journey (actually it was Sunday but I'm just getting a chance to write it down.) I have known for about three weeks that this day would come and have been thinking since then about what I would write on this day. Would it be some life-shaking prophecy or a treatise on the intricacies of worship? I wasn't sure... but here we are and the anticipated day has arrived. So, what have I learned? What has this journey taught me? How does it fit? Why did God lead me to do this?

I think the message that a fellow staff member, Watty, gave this weekend pretty much sums up the purpose and importance of a journey like this in my life. He talked about the dangers of drifting. His point was, if we are not careful, we will find ourselves on the edge of danger because we have not taken the time to be anchored in God's ways, in our relationships with others, etc. It is not something that happens overnight, but it is a gradual drifting away from those things that are foundational to our lives. Pretty soon, we are at the edge of dangerous waters and, seeing it ahead of us, we look around in confusion wondering what happened. How could we have drifted so far?

This 21 day journey is about making my way back to a place close to God and putting down anchor. It is especially important to me, because the true success of my leadership lies in a healthy relationship with God. I guess anyone could say that, but I was a worship leader who had drifted away from worshiping God on a regular basis? Who are you? Are you a pastor who has drifted away from your own personal hunger for God's Word? Are you a husband or wife that has drifted away from your spouse? What have you drifted away from? This journey is about being re-centered on Christ. The 21 days doesn't bear any significance except that "experts" say it takes us that long to develop a good habit. It was my worship journey, but it could be your journey of growing closer to your kids or recommiting to your job. There is nothing super-spiritual about it except that this commitment will hopefully help you realign your priorities and get you farther away from dangerous waters.

So, what are you waiting for? The next 21 days could change your life!! OK... or they could just get you back on track. Who knows what it could hold for you? There's only one way to find out.


~Aubrey

No comments: