Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 19 - Gifts

Proverbs 18:16

A man’s gift makes room for him, And brings him before great men. (NKJV)


In most translations this verse refers to something like a bribe. In other words, when you pay someone off it can bring you before great men. NKJV is the version that I grew up reading and I memorized the scripture this way. To me it has always meant something a little different. I don't think it's at all out of context, but it communicates a little different perspective. The gift is a little different. I believe that God uses our gifts to bring us before people great and small; our talents and spiritual gifts that is. It makes me think of Joseph being brought before Pharaoh because of His gift of interpreting dreams. God used this to raise him up.

I have such a strong desire to be a self-aware, G0d-aware, and humble person, but I feel that this scripture is part of what God is doing in my life. I don't know what it will look like, but I want to be ready to seize the opportunity to share His message with whomever I am given an audience. I want to be ready in season and out of season like Paul encourages Timothy to be.

God, thank You that You are always simultaneously preparing me for the future and using me in the present. Keep me focused on Your voice today while still hoping and seeking for the future. Give me boldness to speak to people small and great about Your name. I will worship You before any gathering, before any assembly, before any audience. Above all else, let Your will be done in my life. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: