Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 20 - His Greatness

Today, I was reading through some of the psalms and thinking about the worship we express when the body of Christ gathers in great or small numbers. I hate the term "corporate worship". Ok, I don't hate it, but it does kind of creep me out sometimes.

I Just long for the people of our churches to practice worship in their lives. I long for them to read the psalms and internalize God's works. I long for them to meditate on what it is that God has actually done for them. I want all of us to never tire of praising God. Psalm 145 says, "Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised. His greatness is beyond discovery." I hope for myself and for all those who call themselves Christ followers that we would seek to know this greatness. If it is true that we can never know all of His greatness, then today we can learn something new about Him and turn to praise Him for it.

Oh Great God, help us to know your greatness and never tire of praising You. You are truly beyond discovery, but teach us more and more about Yourself. Let Your people hunger to understand how You are working in their lives. Keep us from the snare of self-confidence and pride. Make us aware of who You are. I long to worship You continually and I long for Your people to do the same. Oh Father of all secrets things, reveal Yourself to us and we will turn to praise You. Together we will praise You when we gather to meet. Together we will make sure that Your name is heard on our lips and Your songs in our sanctuaries. Jesus, fill our hearts with brokenness for our sins and with a revelation of Your love. Then we will be like David and Your praise will be on our lips day and night. In Your great mercy, show us yourself Lord. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: