Thursday, July 17, 2008

I'm delirious...

Yes, as you've probably heard by now, Delirious, my favorite band of all time, is throwing in the towel. After 14 albums, the guys feel like it's time to take a different turn parting ways on good terms according to their website. As I think back over the last 15 or more years of my own life following/listening/worshiping with these guys, I am struck with how truly influential they have been on me and on modern worship as a whole. If it tells you anything, I still listen to "Cutting Edge", their 2 disc breakout album, the source of songs like "Did You Feel The Mountains Tremble", "I Could Sing of Your Love", and "Obsession" and I wholeheartedly believe that it is still just as good and just as relevant as anything I hear from current artists and leaders. I hope someday to write songs like Martin Smith and help people to say what they want and need to say to God! They may be calling it quits, but their songs are not... I think that is a true mark of good/God-inspired songwriting and artistry.

Here are some fitting lyrics from the song "History Maker":

I'm gonna be a history maker in this land
I'm gonna be a speaker of truth to all mankind
I'm gonna stand, I'm gonna runInto your arms, into your arms again
Into your arms, into your arms again

I think they truly lived out these lyrics and encouraged countless other like myself to do the same.

Thanks for the inspiration guys! Can't wait to see what's next!

In light of this, what are some of your favorite Delirious songs of all time well-known or unknown?

Here are a few of mine:

Obsession - Cutting edge 2
Oh Lead Me - Cutting edge 1
History Maker - Live and In the Can
Majesty - World Service
I've Searched For Gold - Cutting edge 2
Jesus' Blood - Mezzamorphis and Glo
King or Cripple - King of Fools
It's OK - Mezzamorphis
Miracle Maker - Mission Bell and Live at Willow Creek

~A

No comments: