Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Weekend Update 1/17 & 1/18

As the Foo Fighters say, "I've got another confession to make." A new found love for the Key of B has welled up in my heart. I know that it's the black sheep of the Signature family, but this weekend its tarnished reputation was polished up a bit in my opinion. I had accidentally and purposefully chosen two songs in the key of E and two songs in the key of B this weekend. The way it worked out the keys changed from E to B to E to B. Initially, my heart sunk. I had finally crafted the perfect set for this weekend's big idea and now it was ruined by the ugly stepchild of key signature. Now, I have no problem with the circle of 5ths or transitioning from G to D and even back again, but E to B... yuck! But wait! The bad taste is gone now! It turned out to be beautiful and the transitions were so smooth. This was also due in part to the fact that each of the songs ended with the either E or B respectively. So, from this point forward B will forever be different to me. :) (oh and it was also the first week that we have ever done 3 original songs in one set.)

Setlist
Stand In Awe - E (original)
Cannons - B
All It Takes - E (original)
Less of Me - B (original)

Report Card
Rehearsal 4.5 - We started on time and were able to finish on time with effective rehearsal in between!!! Way to go!
Technical Execution 3.5 - Good all around. Bill did good with the guitar parts despite his nervousness. We struggled with tempo, but we always do. :)
Transitions 4.1 - Good transtions (see above) but I went a little long on my encouragement time.
Content/Flow 4.25 - Again, it lined up well with the big idea for the weekend.
Church Participation 3.5 - It took people a while to warm up, but they were in there by the end.
Energy 3.25 - Not horrible, but we weren't necessarily feeding off the energy of the congregation either, if you know what I mean.
Movement 4.25 - Thematically and musically good stuff.

Overall = 3.91

~A

No comments: