Sunday, June 8, 2008

Pressin' in


As we were worshiping today at church, I felt the Lord nudging us to "press in!" Now, some of you may be very familiar with the phrase, but in the few moments before it came out of my mouth I thought, "Most of these people won't understand what you are saying." This is not to say that they were not capable of understanding, but the context of their spiritual lives is much different than mine. I decided to throw the term out there and then kind of interpret what it meant in this scenario.

I have to admit, when it came to my mind I felt like I was revertin' back to my old revival days, but there is truth behind the term "pressin' in." As hokey as it sounds, we stop short of the journey that God has for us in our services because we don't break past the normal barrier of our worship. Sometimes, as the gathered Body of Christ, we just have to collectively say, let's lean in a little closer, let's focus together a little more intensely and see if God doesn't reveal Himself to us in a new way or refresh us with His presence like never before.

What kind of phrases have you stuffed back in the corners of your mind? And what kind of dormant truths could they be covering up that deserve being revived? I'd be curious to know.

~A

No comments: